Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Monsons are Big on Alternative Desserts

or "Why No One Else Wants to Eat at Our House"


Sometimes I read old charity cookbooks looking for a laugh. Usually, it doesn't take me long to find one.




I'm not the only one that thinks this drawing is funny. When I first showed this "design" to Daphne, she exclaimed, "Hairy pickles!?!" She began laughing so hard that she could no longer stand. Daph ran to our bedroom and flopped onto the bed with one hand to her mouth and the other pressed into her side.

Other times I'm looking for a recipe that sounds like it would be gross, but probably tastes great.  This Velveeta Cheese Fudge recipe nails these requirements. 



Why would I trust a recipe like this? Most of these cookbooks are published for small town churches. I grew up in a small town, and I know all about small town gossip and petty competition. I'm pretty confident that Nelma Neumayer wouldn't put her name on a recipe that she thought was iffy. And by ending the instructions with "never fails", Velma's throwing down the gauntlet.

Daphne made this last spring, and we couldn't taste the cheese. The fudge was actually quite creamy. Out of curiosity, I google "Velveeta Cheese Fudge", and I found pages of similar recipes. My favorite title was "Trailer Truffles".

Last week the Penzeys Spices catalog came in the mail, and this recipe was in there.


I wanted to give Tomato Juice Cake a spin, and Daphne was happy to make it. Here's our last night's dessert:



Daphne held a fork laden with cake in front of Charlotte's face and asked her, "Do you want a bite of Tomato Juice Cake?" Char screwed up her face and turned her head so quickly you'd think she might actually know what tomato juice is. I rephrased the question into "Do you want to try some T.J. cake?", and our little girl was all over it.

Like that Velveeta cheese in the fudge, you can't taste any tomatoes in here. My best comparison is to a spice cake. Daphne's not sold on the frosting, but I like anything with that much butter.

So, what's next?

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Recipe-Sweet-corn-ice-cream/-/9357080/16283978/-/6ll19kz/-/index.html?absolute=true


PS. Speaking of odd food combinations:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/bagel-head-forehead-injections-japan-saline_n_1916188.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

No comments:

Post a Comment